BMW Motorcycle Owners of Northeast Florida
BY-LAW revisions to be voted on at the December 2019 meeting
Revisions are shown in red
The Club shall be known as the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Northeast Florida; Inc. (BMWNEF). BMWNEF
is a social club with the purpose of fostering the enjoyment of BMW motorcycles and motorcycling in general.
BMWNEF shall also pursue various charitable causes from time to time as defined by its Executive Committee.
BMWNEF is a Florida Corporation organized under IRS guidelines as a not for profit 501-C-4 organization.
BMWNEF’s fiscal year shall be April 1 – March 31.
Membership requirements are such that members must have an interest in BMW motorcycles and are encouraged to be members of at least one affiliate club such as MOA, RA, and or Airheads.
The Executive Committee (EC)
shall have the authority to offer memberships and set terms and dues in the following categories:
Officers and Elected Directors President and Vice President
- Regular Members – Individual members paying annual or multiple year dues.
- Associate Members – Non-riding associates of Regular Members having the same term and paying a reduced rate.
- Honorary Members – Individuals so designated by the Executive Committee shall be offered free membership on an annual basis.
- Life Members – Individuals recognized by the Executive Committee for their long-term service to the club shall pay no dues.
- Sustaining Members – Members wishing to support the club may purchase a life membership at a multiple of the annual dues set by the Executive Committee.
must own a BMW motorcycle at the time of nomination and election.
Only current BMWNEF members are allowed to hold Club offices. Associate members shall not be eligible to hold elected office.
Elected officers of the Club shall be: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and two Directors. The President shall appoint four additional directors after consulting with the elected members of the Executive Committee. The immediate Past President is also a member of the Executive Committee. These eleven positions comprise the Executive committee and are the only voting members on that committee.
EC members are expected to assume a specific responsibility as determined by the President.
The President may appoint members-at- large to serve with the EC. These individuals will not be voting members of the EC but are available to assist and carry out various functions as decided by the President.
The Executive Committee shall be responsible for the management of the Club’s business and the conduct of its affairs.
The President shall serve as the Chairman of the Executive Committee.
The EC may appoint sub-committees as required to manage the Club’s business.
The EC shall keep the membership informed and current on appropriate business matters.
All club business shall be addressed at regularly scheduled EC meetings.
Should a situation arise, deemed by the President to be an emergency, the President may via email, telephone, or in person, act in concert with a quorum of the EC to deal with the situation.
The Executive Committee shall meet every month during the week preceding the general membership meeting.
These meetings are open to all members and will be chaired by the President in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order.
Attendance by at least six 50% of voting
EC members will constitute a quorum.
The proper order of the Executive Committee meetings will be:
- Reading of the minutes of the previous meeting
- Treasurers’ Report
- Reports from officers and committees
- Old business
- New business
The duties of the President shall be:
- Preside over all EC meetings; Chair all regular Club meetings and provide supervision of Club activities.
- Appoint committee chairs for Events, Newsletter, Rally and Club Liaison and other committees after consulting with the EC.
- Represent the Club at public affairs and in business contacts and to promote the club’s standing in the community.
- Assist all officers of the Club as needed.
- Vote only when required to break a tie.
- Maintain important club records electronically on club website.
The duties of the Vice President (VP)
- Perform the duties of the President in his absence and jointly share in Club responsibilities.
- The VP shall be responsible for all social and riding activities, and inform the Members of meetings and or club affairs as instructed by the executive committee. Social and ride chairs will report to the VP.
- In the event the office of President becomes vacant, the VP will become President. A successor VP will be selected by the Executive Committee.
- Maintain important club VP records electronically on the club website.
The duties of the Secretary shall be:
- Maintain the minutes of all EC meetings.
- Handle Club correspondence.
- Inform members of meetings and of club affairs as instructed by the Executive committee.
- Run a total membership report each month.
- Be responsible for maintaining and uploading all official club records electronically onto the club's website.
The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
- Handle all financial transactions of the Club.
- Maintain full accounting of the Club’s financial status and give a summary report including reconciled cash balances at all EC meetings. Annually, a full report shall be made to the Executive Committee.
- Ensure all appropriate financial reports are developed and filed with appropriate entities on a a timely basis to maintain the status of the Club.
- Ensure that valid Liability Insurance coverage remains in effect.
- Be subject to audits at the discretion of the Executive committee.
- Shall be a member, but not Chair of the Finance Committee which will establish and maintain the club budget.
- Maintain financial records electronically on the club's website.
BMWNEF will have the following standing committees:
- Marketing/Public Relations
- Rides – Safety
- Club Liaison
- Information Systems
Officers and Directors will generally chair these standing committees as determined by the President.
The duties of these committees will be determined by the EC in conjunction with the President. From time to time the Executive Committee may make changes to the Committees.
The President will appoint a Nominating Committee annually for the purpose of nominating officers for the upcoming year. The committee will consist of the President, the immediate Past President and two or more additional club members in good standing.
The Nominating Committee will nominate all six
officers/Directors for one-year terms. No member shall be eligible to serve more than three consecutive terms in the same position.
The slate will be presented at the regular November membership meeting. Nominations from the floor will be entertained at that time. Such nominations must be seconded and approved by one-third of those in attendance in order to be added to the ballot. Qualifications are to be verified by the Nominating Committee.
The election will be announced and the slate made available to the membership via the web site, the newsletter, or presidential email at least 14 days prior to the election date.
Election will be by a simple majority of the Club members at the December meeting of each year.
Officers shall take office on January 1 of the following year.
Any amendment or revision to the By-laws must be submitted in writing and presented to the membership at a monthly club meeting to be voted on at a subsequent general membership meeting.
The proposed by-laws and notification of the vote shall be made available to all members via the web site, the newsletter, or presidential email no less than 14 days prior to the vote.
A two-thirds majority of the members present will be required to pass any changes to the by-laws.
Club meetings will normally be held on the first Sunday of each month.
Guests may attend up to three Club activities as prospective members. Further participation shall require membership.
Membership is by calendar year.
The Executive Committee will determine the amount of all dues, which are to be paid by January 31 each year.
The membership Chair will advise the EC of those not renewing and they will be dropped from the membership rolls.
New members joining in the fourth quarter and paying the annual dues will be exempt from paying for the succeeding year.
The Rides Chair Ride Leaders
will enforce riding rules for all club riding events
All members and their guests will observe the rules.
Members may invite guests for Club rides but must be responsible for the conduct of their guests.
All ride participants, to include minors and their guardians
, are required to sign a waiver if one is not on file for each and every club ride
Ride Leaders are responsible for ensuring these waivers are signed and forwarded to the VP.
In the event of the resignation of any officer other than President, the Executive Committee shall appoint an interim officer to complete the term.
If the President resigns, the Vice President is the successor.
If the actions of any member reflect unfavorably on the club or constitute a safety problem to members, the EC reserves the right to suspend or terminate that membership.
Such offending action must take place at a Club activity.
The member must be given the opportunity to respond to the proposed termination.